Who hasn’t been spell-bound by the stories of Harry Potter and his life at Hogwarts School? The first novel was published in 1997 and Harry Potter’s popularity with kids and adults has been rising ever since. Harry Potter and The Philosopher’s Stone and the subsequent six volumes and associated movies have given us a world full of amazing characters, a magical world of witchcraft and wizardry, plus a whole new game – quidditch.
What better way to spend Halloween than dressed up in a costume from Harry Potter and there are a so many to pick from. Let me give you my five favorite costumes from the world of Harry Potter that you might find great for trick or treating.
1. Dementors. Dementors are really scary creatures, foul soul-sucking guardians of the wizard prison of Azkaban. If you like the idea of really terrifying people as you trick or treat, this is the costume for you. Dementors are more than ten feet in height. They have a human shape and wear dark, hooded cloaks. Their hands are grey and decayed. They look very gruesome with holes where their mouths should be and no eyes. They feed on other people’s positive emotions and happy memories and force them to relive their worst memories as well as sucking out a person’s soul.
2. Voldemort. Lord Voldemort is the arch-enemy of Harry Potter. He is the most vile and feared wizard. He is totally lacking in human feelings. Unlike most human beings he doesn’t want love or friendship. His desire to secure immense power and immortality makes his extremely powerful and ruthless. Apparently he was once very handsome but his vile character has turned him into a monster. Now he has red eyes, no nose and a slit where his nostrils should be. He has no hair ahd his teeth are yellow. His fingernails are long and blue and he is thin and tall. He wears a long dark black robe and carries a wand that has a handle which appears to be made of bone.
3. Death Eaters. These creatures are followers of Voldemort and are a band of witches and wizards who engage in malevolent crimes. They recognise one another by the dark mark on their left forearm which as created by Voldemort to summon them to him immediately. They typically wore black, hooded robes and masks, but in the film, Goblet of Fire they wore skull masks with pointed hats and in the Order of the Phoenix wore metal masks and purple robes.
4. The Gryffindor Robe. If you fancy joining Harry, Ron and Hermione in Gryffindor House then you have to wear the long black robe with attached hood and burgundy lining. On the front of the robe is the Gryffindor Crest which is a lion in scarlet and gold. The lion symbolizes courage, bravery, daring and chivalry, the qualities endorsed by the house of Gryffindor.
5. The Quidditch Robe This is the robe worn by the players of Quidditch, a fictional sport created by J K Rowling. It’s a fast, exciting and dangerous games with two teams flying on broomsticks competing for points scored by throwing a ball, the Quaffle, through hoops and trying to capture the golden snitch. The Quidditch robe is crimson with a yellow lining. It’s ankle length.
I hope you like my personal choice of the best Harry Potter costumes.