All parents know that all baby carriers are not the same. We all have different needs as do our little ones. One that is perfect for one parent will not work for another. Its imperative to get a handle of the different carriers on the market so that you get an idea of what you might want or need. Lets get rolling.
There are carriers with different disadvantages and advantages. Find out which type and style works for you. Lets go through these one by one.
Tip: The baby backpack carriers are gaining in popularity these days.
1) The Pouches
These are simple to use and understand. They are available in adjustable and fitted versions. There are different advantages of this and the following are a few.
– Availability in a different colors and patterns
– Very easy to learn to use
– Relatively cheap/inexpensive
– They are perfect to put one when you are in a hurry whether you are heading out for errands or for a short trip.
– Great for nursing the baby
Most diaper bags will fit these.
Some of the disadvantages that you should bear in mind regarding these are as follows.
– For longer periods carrying the weight of the baby on one shoulder can be tiresome.
– These carriers that are of the fitted style cannot be shared between users of different sizes
Tip: A lot of parents have started to use the native baby carrier .
2) Mei Tais
These carriers are based on the traditional Asian ones. With this baby carrier you have the choice of wearing it on the front or the back. Hip carries are also a possibility. These carriers are simple in design – a small panel of cloth or fabric with the straps go over the shoulders and then around the waist. The weight is evenly distributed on your shoulders making it easy and comfortable to use.
These are a few of the advantages.
– Different variety of fabrics. You can go from trendy to fun to way out there
– The weight distribution over two shoulders helps with the carrying the heavier babies too
– The front use or on the back gives you many choices.
Here are a few disadvantages.
– They can be a little less compact than the pounches in certain slings. So they might not fit into all diaper bags
– These carriers cannot be used for the cradle position for newborns
– The straps are pretty long so they could drag on the ground. So, if you are doing this in a wet area it’ll get dirty.
Tip: Read as many baby carrier reviews as you can before you buy one.