Yesterday at the grocery store, I came across a child, who was about 8-years-old. She was lying on the floor flailing her arms and legs yelling “I decide a chocolate bar.” I possibly will have predicted the outcome. The child continued to scream until mom put a chocolate bar in the cart. The crying ceased instantly.
Since they passed, I took note of the contents of the grocery cart – Coco Puffs cereal, soda, 3 bulk bags of potato chips, chocolate covered granola bars, macaroni & cheese, hot dogs…you get the drift. Try as I may possibly I couldn’t help but feel scared for that child’s future.
You see, a long time ago I was that obese little girl. I was unhappy with my body, but I dulled the pain by eating – chips, chocolate bars, hotdogs. I threw tantrums as I knew my mother didn’t have the patience and would only provide me what I wanted.
By the age of 12 I was 4-foot, 11-inches and 135-pounds. My general practitioner put me on a restrictive diet. However, I would steal money from my parents to pay for candy. It didn’t make sense to me. I was allowed to eat those foods before. Why were punishing me? I hated myself more.
Inside the early 80’s, being a fat child was rare. However inside 2006 one inside three North American kids are overweight. Together parents probable have total era jobs, which means less period for fit meals and handling. Fast food and activities have taken over the family roost.
I’m sorry I must lay this responsibility on the parents, but kids only usage what you preach. If they see you eating poorly; they’ll follow suit.
Practice what you preach by adopting and enforcing these FitnessGear101.com family lifestyle changes:
• Explain the difference between health food choices and non-fit food choices.
• Sit down and compile a weekly grocery lists with your child.
• Let them go using you to the grocery store and shop just for the foods on the list.
• Purchase kids involved inside preparing well meals, so they adopt fit habits for life.
• It’s natural to shelter our kids from ridicule. However if your child is obese their health is at risk and tough love encouragement is needed, for example: “honey, you are overweight, but I think inside you and I’ll support you since I love you.”
• Never usage food since a reward. Instead reward them using mini-golfing or baseball.
• Ditch the clean-plate policy. If your child is complete, don’t force them to finish.
• Institute an open policy about food. Kids ought to be comfortable telling you when they’re hungry and not hungry devoid of fear you’ll get mad.
• Don’t eliminate snacks. It will lead to lying and binge eating outside the home. Instead plan a cheat meal once a week when they’re allowed several foods they want.
• Encourage physical activity. It will get them up and out and encourage them to socialize using other active kids.
• Never let eating in front of the TV. This encourages passive eating, and the child won’t concentrate on how much they’re eating or when they’re full.
• Limit TV or video games to 1 hour per day. The rest of the time, keep them busy using outdoor activities.