When Alcohol Poisoning Serves as a Wakeup Call for a Teenager

Jeffrey was a high school ninth grader who typically seemed to be living on the edge. Jeffrey had a daring personality and typically wanted to do what his older brothers were doing for fun. The primary glitch with this was that all three of his brothers were at least 21 years old and were consequently able from a legal perspective to drive a truck or car and to drink alcohol.

Jeffrey, nevertheless, had a rough time accepting the actuality that as a fifteen-year-old teen he should not be drinking. In fact, however, Jeffrey often drank with his friends after school, largely on the weekends.

One weekend, Jeffrey was invited to drive around with some of his older friends. One of his guy friends was old enough to purchase alcohol. After buying some wine coolers, beer, and wine, Jeffrey and all of his pals went to a park and drank for just about two hours.

Jeffrey Experiences Alcohol Poisoning Symptoms

After drinking more or less ten glasses of wine, Jeffrey started to feel nauseous and then threw up. When he became unconscious on the basketball court, one of his pals called 911 for help. It was fortunate that the call for emergency help was made because when his buddies went to the hospital to see Jeffrey, they were told that Jeffrey had been manifesting alcohol poisoning symptoms. More precisely, Jeffrey had experienced a case of alcohol poisoning.

When Your Buddies Drink Too Much

Jeffrey had heard that drinking abusively can result in alcohol poisoning but he never thought that this would ever affect him. After all, some of his buddies repeatedly stated that they could drink twenty four or more cans of beer at one sitting without experiencing any critical difficulties.

Based on this, Jeffrey was in point of fact startled to find out that he had overdosed on alcohol because he “only” had more or less ten alcoholic beverages. When he articulated this to the attending healthcare professional at the hospital, in spite of this, the doctor notified Jeffrey that drinking ten glasses of wine over a two or three hour period of time could in reality be significantly more alcohol than can be processed by the body. The physicain further expressed how excessive alcohol can cause the brain to shut down a person’s breathing and that when this transpires, an individual can die.

The First Sign of Excessive Drinking

This was the first forewarning to Jeffrey that he was drinking in a risky way and that there are effects for such actions. The healthcare professional told Jeffrey that he was a fortunate person because he almost lost his life from an alcohol overdose the night before.

The doctor also talked to Jeffrey’s parents and suggested that they get alcohol counseling for Jeffrey. His parents were delighted that Jeffrey was safe and told the doctor that they would look into getting Jeffrey alcohol rehab.

While conversing with his parents, Jeffrey informed them that there must be a solid reason why he did not pass away and that he felt thankful that he was still alive. He also told his parents that the strangest part about the entire drinking event was that he had learned about alcohol poisoning the last six week grading period at school in Mr. Franklin’s health class.

When Paying Attention in Class Can Affect Your Life

At the time, what his health instructor, Mr. Franklin, was teaching didn’t seem to make too much sense to Jeffrey. Since he almost passed away, nevertheless, he felt that he should have listened more intently in Mr. Franklin’s health class and applied what he had learned to his life.

Jeffrey notified his parents that he couldn’t wait to go to school and express regret to Mr. Franklin for not paying better attention to something that was as relevant as learning about alcohol abuse and how to avoid an alcohol overdose.

His parents smiled at Jeffrey and said that they were pleased with the way he was taking responsibility for his unsafe actions. All he had to do now was to let this near-death experience change his life in a constructive way so that he would never again suffer through an alcohol overdose.